Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Year of New Things!

I never make New Year's resolutions. I think it's my way of rebelling against the expected. I don't want to make personal goals just because I'm supposed to! Leave me alone and let me bask in the glow of mindless TV in peace! 

Well, this year I'm making an exception. I guess it's because I am now responsible to guide and direct a little person, and I want to be the best Meili I can be for the little man.

About a year ago, I came across the blog of a chick named Jen who decided that she was going to do one new thing every day for an entire year. Starting the day she turned 29, she chose one new thing to do each day, from leaving a nice note for a stranger to crushing a soda can on her forehead. I checked in with her blog daily during this project, and ever since then, it's been in the back of my mind. I want to do something similar.

I hereby declare that each week in 2009, I am going to do something I have never done before!

This is a year of many firsts by default, so a lot of my new things will be baby related. However, I could use some good ideas that don't relate directly to motherhood. Please help me compile my list of new things! And by the way, I've already been skydiving, bungee jumping, and skinny dipping, so you can cross those off your list. Okay, I haven't been skinny dipping. But you can forget about that! Skinny dipping went out the window with the appearance of these blasted stretch marks.

Here's to a Year of New Things!!!

8 comments:

Diane said...

Hmmm. I am so un-adventurous that I can't think of anything at the moment. But you have such a great imagination that I can't wait to hear each week of your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Try foreign foods

Visit someone in a rest home you don't know

Do a "man" job

Say something positive about another's driving

Go contra dancing (NO! - Rachel)

Emily said...

I know a good one! Visit Colorado, Fort Collins to be more specific! :)

Anonymous said...

1. Go swimming with sharks.
(I've heard this can be fun)
2. Eat frog legs.
(some people say it tastes like chicken but I think it's fishy tasting)
3. Take your child to a playgroup. (you are welcome to join mine - we meet Thursday mornings and I love it).

Shelly said...

I can't believe that you are afraid of a few stretch marks! "CHICKEN!"

Brit said...

-take a vacation as a family somewhere you never have been before
-say no to a request you feel you just can't take on, even if you feel obligated
-consider implementing what we call at our house "mommy time": an hour a week where you leave Calvin with Tim and take off for some recharge time.

Missy said...

Hi Congrats on Clavin
I can't wait to see you!
I think what your doing sounds great,
Inspirational even, I'll be checking your blog
for up-dates..
P.S. I agree with your friend, The first thing I thought of was, to eat Frog Legs, then for the lack of spelling try es-car-go
I thought I never would never try them, and now Im glad I have...ooh also Chocolate dipped Grasshoppers.
Good Luck

Sarah Garner said...

You want something really adventurous?! Stay in a hotel with the baby for the first time! That is definitely not ho hum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...