Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years




When I took these pictures during spring break in March 2001, the towers had six months left to stand. My friends and I walked mere blocks from Mariani's NYU dorm to visit the World Trade Center.

This morning, I was surprised at the emotion that overtook me as I thought back to the events of September 11, 2001. It was a typical morning for me. I was getting ready for school when my brother Jacob came in to tell me that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. Weird! What a random accident! Then the second plane hit and we knew it was no accident. Our world changed.

Today I was holding the basher and watching the special news broadcast. During the moment of silence, a bell tolled to commemorate the fall of the second tower. I cried. My heart was so heavy for the lives lost, the hatred behind it, and the families who still miss their loved ones. I also remembered how our nation had stood together. Proud. Defiant. One. And that I had never felt more patriotic than during the weeks following the attacks.

The punk started dancing when Paul Simon played Sounds of Silence. He was just an innocent child, enjoying the music and eating his toast. He asked us (the baby and me) to join him. So we did. It struck me that my boys weren't around when all of this happened 10 years ago. I was just a baby in college myself (look at my sweet, chubby cheeks)! I will have to be the one to tell them what happened on that day.

But not yet. I will let them enjoy their music and toast for a little while longer.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I am right there with you. My heart is full and overflowing with tears today. I was a young college student also. Ask a high school student what they remember and they can't remember....they were only 5 or 6 at the time. We are the youngest generation to live through it and now how it changed our lives, nation, and world forever.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...