Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gratitude Day 20

I am thankful to be surrounded by extended family. Tonight we had dinner at my parents' house, where we were joined by my brother, my cousin on my dad's side, and my grandma and great-grandma on my mom's side.

I laughed around the table with my dad, my man, and my cousin, who told animated stories about times when they have been scared, as kids, and as adults. A grown man sharing an anecdote about a time when he has left his (slow, chubby) buddy in the dust to be eaten by attack dogs in a dark cemetery? Or when he nearly clocked a tiny old lady in the face because she was standing there in the dark hallway when the elevator door opened and he is afraid of little things? Hilarious.

I also talked with my great-grandma (97 years old) about her family. She has always dressed very well, no matter what her plans or where she is going. I learned today that this is because, as a child, she was teased by her teacher(!) for wearing hand-me-downs from her mother. Her daughter, my Grandma Valeen, also shared a story about her uncle Eugene, who is Great-Grandma Bell's brother. Valeen and her brother Larry walked to the grocery store with their uncle Eugene. On the way there, he asked each of them which candy bar they liked. At the store, he confirmed their favorites and bought each of those, plus his favorite. Then on the way home, he ate all three candy bars! In front of them! What a meanie.

[the basher and his great-great-grandma]

1 comment:

Lyndsie said...

You are so lucky to have your grandma and great-grandma! I love hearing about people's lives and the stories that made them who they are. You never know the little things that add up in a life, do ya. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...