Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ragnar: Part 1

The Ragnar Relay Wasatch Back is a 188.1 mile race from Logan to Park City with a team of 12. There is a runner always plugging along on the course for (in our case) 35 hours. Each team has 2 vans, with 6 to a van. The Duodecad crossed the starting line at 8:30 am on Friday. I was in van 2, so we arrived at the first "exchange" at 3:00 pm, when runner #6 in van 1 handed off the baton (a slap bracelet) to runner #7 in van 2.


I was runner #11, so I had to wait for a few more hours before I got to hit the road. By the time we arrived at the location of my first leg, I was ready to get going.


I ran my first three miles UP Snow Basin Road. This leg of 3.7 miles was classified as "very hard" because of the terrain; it was an elevation increase of 879 feet. It was tough, but I was feeling strong. The last 0.7 mile was downhill for an elevation loss of 358 feet. THAT was fun. As the road evened out and then started going from uphill to downhill, I felt all the muscles in my body shift. It was a glorious feeling. Suddenly, I was using all different muscles so I had a completely fresh body with which to complete my run. I passed three people at top speeds on the way down. Boo-yah!


To be continued...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...