Monday, October 19, 2009

Tastes Like Duck

For the past couple weeks, the punk has been making his afternoon nap a bit difficult. I like to rock him to sleep because I enjoy that time with him, so I hold him and rock him for about 10 minutes and then put him in his crib. Lately he's been opening his eyes when I set him down, smiling, and jumping up to a standing position as soon as I leave the room. Then he'll proceed to talk to himself, becoming increasingly frustrated the longer I leave him alone. So then I would go back in, wrap him up, give him his binky, and rock him for another 10 minutes. After several days of performing this nonsensical ritual, I decided it was enough. He needs to be able to get himself to sleep. As much as I love our rocking time, I don't love it enough to do it over and over every day.

Of course, as soon as I declared that I would no longer be coaxing him to sleep multiple times, he stopped requiring it of me. He started going to sleep easily. Even if he opened his eyes when I laid him down, he would just roll over and go to sleep. Hooray!

...Until today.

I put him down in his crib and left his room. As I was putting up my Halloween decorations, I heard him making noises. I let him go for about 20 minutes, but it was apparent he wasn't going to stop. So I opened his door. There I was greeted by an unpleasant stench and a little boy with no pants on. I guess he was being helpful. Knowing what he had done in his diaper, he assisted me by disrobing.

As I lifted him out of his crib to change his diaper, I noticed that he had something in his mouth. It looked like paper. I wondered where he found a scrap of paper in his crib. Hmmm...

When I fished around in his mouth and pulled it out, I discovered that it was his Daffy Duck band-aid from his recently vaccinated thigh.

Yum!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I really like this kid. He's got spunk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...